The seat of the Lady Dowager Elphinstone. Horsfield records that it was originally constructed by John of Gaunt (1340-1399), Duke of Lancaster and later converted to a religious house, then becoming the residence of Richard Sackwell and Crispe family The building was re-constructed in the early 1800s. Many archaeological relics have been found in the grounds.
When Ore Place fell into disuse pre WW2 it was converted and extended by some Jesuits who wished to set up a retreat & study centre there moving some 60 tons of books were moved into the buildings.
The building was requisitioned for army usage during WW2 as the Royal Army Service Corps records office. Post-war, it was utilised by the military as a records office with staff from the Army Catering Corps and RASC with the ACC records and staff moving in on the 25th April 1947, this continuing until circa 1976.