Night Storm Signalling Tower
With the fishing fleet often at sea during the hours of darkness and quite often coming ashore during these hours, it was desirable that a method be found of communicating to vessels at sea, the wind direction and strength.
Thus in 1887, Mr. Councillor Stubbs' motion to erect a structure for showing storm signals at night, for the benefit of the fishermen, was put into effect. The tower was on the parade, a short distance eastward of the Lifeboat House and carried a diamond shaped set of different coloured lights.
- Hastings and St Leonards Observer - Saturday 17 December 1887