Literary Institute

From Historical Hastings Wiki

The Literary Institute opened during 1838 in a new building at 42 George Street, construction having cost an estimated £1,500 with the foundation stone being laid by Frederick North on the 9th of May 1838. Within the foundation stone was concealed some new coins of the date and a scroll bearing the Latin translation of "The Hastings Literary Society caused this building for promoting the Arts and Sciences to be erected on the ninth of May in the year of Salvation 1838. That it may be successful and prosperous and from day to day more vigorously flourish, is the supplication of this Society to the Almighty. Frederick North, president of the Society, laid this stone." The first meeting of the society took place in the premises on the 28th of December and the Institute amassed a large library of some 3,000 books[1]

References[edit]