Lavatoria

From Historical Hastings Wiki
1873 map of the area around Lavatoria.
The diagonal straight line from bottom right is the path taken by Burton's Boundary wall

Lavatoria was originally laid out as a square, with small houses facing each other at the west end of Norman Road, the north side being somewhat earlier than the south, with the northern houses being built by Messrs. Towner, Smith and Thorne and the southern range built and inhabited by Messrs. Putland, Burgess and Mortimer. The shop-fronts on a line with Norman Road were added about fifty years after original construction. Originally Norman Road was blocked at this point by a boundary wall that provided access only for foot traffic between two posts on the east side of the square. The wall was taken down around 1841/2[1]

References[edit]

  1. Brett's Manuscript History of Hastings & St Leonards Vol. 1, Chap. 3