Hastings Cottage Improvement Society

From Historical Hastings Wiki

The Hastings Cottage Improvement Society was founded by the local doctor William Greenhill (1814-1894) in an attempt to improve the accommodation of existing housing for artisans in the Old Town. The society bought rundown housing, and rebuilt houses to a higher standard for the occupants. The initials ‘HCIS’ were put on the frontage of new properties. By April 1860 the society owned about 100 Old Town properties with 110 tenants.

Images[edit]

References[edit]