Originally a spring, The East Hill Well, whose water can be sampled by a tap which produces its waters readily below a sign which reads ‘waste not want not!’ The water is enclosed in large conical conduit house sitting at the base of the East Hill Railway at Rock-a-Nore Road. In 1768 Tamarisk Trees were recorded as growing on the cliffs adjacent to the spring's source.
Construction[edit | edit source]
The well was constructed circa 1848/9 with part of the money raised from a local fundraising campaign by Dr McCabe, together with the surplus of moneys raised after a disastrous fire had ravaged 20 Net Huts in 1846
Use as address[edit | edit source]
From a lease held at The Keep, Lewes, it would appear that at least one fisherman utilised the well as a 'legal' address when signing official documents, although there are records of 'East Well Cottages', presumably in this general area but no longer existing.
Grade II Listed (Historic England listing 1286777)
- The History and Antiquities of the Town and Port of Hastings: Illustrated by a Series of Engravings (Moss 1824) pg.170 Google Books
ESCC Library Amazon Book link: B07DTWKPYN
- Hastings Chronicle 1768
- Hastings Chronicle
- The Keep DH/B/146/3/68 Agreement to lease by William White of East Well, Hastings, fisherman