Cuckoo Hill

From Historical Hastings Wiki

Etymology[edit | edit source]

Cuck " or " Cock " signifies in Saxon, Chief, e.g. Cuckmcre, Cuckfield : hence Cuckoo may have once been the High Street or Upper Town.[1]

Location[edit | edit source]

Cuckoo hill is the high land immediately behind White Rock originally extending far further to the south. The cliff was cut back in 1834[2].

References[edit | edit source]

  1. The Antiquities of Hastings and the Battlefield (Thomas Cole 1864) Pg. 30 Google Books - 1864 ESCC Library. A later edition is also available: ESCC Library - 1884
  2. Detail of cutting back of land