Charles Lockey (1820-1901)
Charles Lockey was the proprietor of the town's Music Hall in Robertson Street from around 1858 after he had moved to Hastings with his family from Somerset in that year. From Census records, he was resident in an apartment at 6 Caroline Place in 1861, moving to Lyndhurst, 1 Elphinstone Road where he died. Charles was well known as a tenor singer, perhaps his best known performance being Mendelssohn's Oratorio 'Elijah'. Soon after his move to Hastings, he gave up performances and much of his public life due to a throat disorder.
|Children of: Short name: Charles Lockey|
|Charles Oliver Lockey (1854-1881)
|John Beeston Lockey (1858-1941)||26 April 1858||18 March 1941|
|Richard Meredith Lockey (1861-)
|Martha Lockey (1862-)
References & Notes
- Osborne's Stranger's Guide to Hastings and St Leonards c1854 Pg. 48 Google Books On this wiki
- Charles Lockey "UK Census", , 1861; St Mary in the Castle; page 44, line 220.
- UK Census 1861
- "UK Census", , 1901; St Mary in the Castle; , enumeration district 22 page 9, line 1.
- Corder, Frederick (1912). . In Lee, Sidney (ed.). Dictionary of National Biography (2nd supplement). 2. London: Smith, Elder & Co. p. 473.