Caves Oriental Cafe

From Historical Hastings Wiki

Summary[edit]

Caves Oriental Cafe was at 40 White Rock in the premises that used to be Lloyds Oriental Cafe. Opened during 1905 and had performances from the house trio of musicians three times per week on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.[1] This theme of afternoon teas with musical accompaniment carried on for a number of years.

During WW1, the cafe hosted a fund-raising performance by Miss Florence Aylward, a composer of some repute in aid of the Belgian Relief Fund.[2] Closed at some point in the early 1970s. There was a branch also in Brighton.

  1. Hastings and St Leonards Observer - Saturday 14 October 1905 et-al
  2. Hastings and St Leonards Observer - Saturday 21 November 1914