|Postal Code||TN34 1HE|
|Prop. Ref. No.||100062570460|
|H.E. Ref. No.||1043388|
The Brassey Institute at 13, Claremont is built on the site of an old stone masons yard that stood at the foot of St Michael's Rock (as the White Rock headland used to be known). The institute was founded by the Brassey family between 1878-1881 and provided for the study of arts and the sciences with the Hastings Museum being based here at the latters foundation, operating under the full name of 'The Brassey School of Science and Art', with a chemistry laboratory operating out of George Street by 1900 The town library now operates out of the building.
In style, the building is a classic example of decorative Venetian Gothic architecture. The design was carried out by Walter Liberty Vernon for Thomas Brassey during his period as MP for Hastings and built in 1878.
Originally the reference library was on the ground floor with an assembly room on the first floor and space for a school of art and science provided on the upper floors. The Hastings Rowing Club was located in the basement and the building also incorporated a suite of rooms for the proprietor.
The building formally opened in 1881 when Lord Brassey opened a free public library and museum within the building, and donated ownership of the whole building together with the School of Art to Hastings Council in 1887.
The library was closed for a fortnight from the 29th of October 1990 for a £571,000 refurbishment.
During 1992, the library underwent a £700,000 refurbishment, re-opening in March.
Due to a lack of adequate maintenance over the previous 100 years or so, it became apparent that the building required a major refurbishment costing over £9.5 million around 2016. Due to the buildings listed status, any repairs had to be carried out in an age-appropriate style of finish and materials. As the paint was stripped back from the facade, it was discovered that the underlying stonework was more severely damaged than initially thought. Much of the front of the building needed extensive repair and rework to restore its integrity. The works lasted for two years and the refurbished building re-opened to the public in 2018.
In common with many public buildings, the library closed on the 17th March 2020 due to the Coronavirus Outbreak
Grade II Listed (Historic England listing 1043388)
- Hastings of Bygone Days and the Present (Henry Cousins - 1911) pg.341 ISBN: 9789332862449 ESCC Library Google Books " Amazon
- Hastings & St Leonards Observer 22 September 1900 pg. 7
- History of The Brassey Institute & Hastings Library in Hastings, East Sussex, UK: History of The Brassey Institute & Hastings Library in Hastings, East Sussex, UK, accessdate: 24 November 2019
- Hastings Independent Press: Welcome back to the Brassey Institute, accessdate: 24 November 2019
- Revamped Hastings library to open doors to the public in March | Hastings and St. Leonards Observer, accessdate: 16 February 2020