The bulk of Belmont Road was constructed during the 1930s. Prior to this it would appear from old mapping of the area to have been a track going across a field before joining back up with Barley Lane approximately half way along its length instead of continuing to Gurth Road. The remnant of the track still exists opposite number 43. The name itself comes from the general area covered by the southern portion of the road.
- Ordnance Survey 25 inch England and Wales, 1841-1952: View: Sussex LVIII.15 (Hastings) - Ordnance Survey 25 inch England and Wales, 1841-1952, accessdate: 14 January 2020