|Prop. Ref. No.||100060051525|
Early records[edit | edit source]
David Denham (an associate of John Collier (1685-1760)), whose will was proved in 1719 was recorded as having lived here.
The connection with Collier would seem to have been via David’s wife Elizabeth (Delves) who was the aunt of Collier’s wife Mary. Denham’s son, also David, is recorded as being a ‘clerk’ to Collier in 1729. Denham either built or rebuilt a house on the estate. Eventually the house fell into Collier’s hand as with many other estates and properties around the town.
Murray Ownership[edit | edit source]
Beauport (Park) was either built or rebuilt by General Murray (1721-1784) and his wife Cordelia (nee Collier) in 1762 and named after a village near Quebec, Canada. Murray died in 1784 without any heirs who were interested in keeping the property. His son (James Patrick Murray (1782-1834)) eventually selling the house to the executor of a John Lamb in January of 1804. This Lamb was not related to the Lamb family but originally had the name of 'Burges'
Later History[edit | edit source]
When the grounds were mapped during the mid 19th centure, a maze and 'tilting ground' (jousting ground) were represented within the estate. Charles Montolieu Lamb made several alterations to the property. Thomas Brassey later made the house the seat of the . The building and grounds are now a hotel, golf course and fitness centre.
WW2[edit | edit source]
When the buildings were occupied by Canadian soldiers, it is claimed that a number of tunnels and hides were constructed for the Auxiliary Units both under the building and in the surrounding woodlands.
- O1.2 BEAUPORTv2.pdf: O1.2 BEAUPORTv2.pdf, accessdate: 12 December 2019
- Wikipedia: James Murray (British Army officer, born 1721) - Wikipedia, accessdate: 12 December 2019
- A Guide to Hastings & St Leonards (Thomas Ross 1835) pg.51 Google Books
- Osborne's Visitor's Guide to Hastings and St Leonards c1854 3rd ed. Pg. 76 Google Books