Ashdown Farm

From Historical Hastings Wiki

In 1954, there was some debate in Council chambers as to whether the Castleham Farm Estate, or that of Ashdown Farm should be purchased to create a further housing estate, described in the press as the 'last big Corporation Housing Estate'. The site of Ashdown Farm had already been released by the Ministry of Agriculture to provide housing and a price of £11,200 agreed by the District Valuer. The decision was deferred to the aforementioned Ministry for their views[1]. Ultimately, it was decided that the site of Ashdown Farm, together with that of Down Farm should be utilised for housing, in spite of the hilly terrain[2]

Images[edit]

==

  1. Hastings & St Leonards Observer 16 October 1954 pg. 2
  2. Hastings & St Leonards Observer 27 November 1954 pg. 7