This page is a stub
The “Amsterdam,” was a Dutch ship of some value, which foundered on the shoreline adjacent to Bulverhythe Road on the 26th January, 1749 at approximately 3 p.m. The time is able to be fixed, due to the crew's firing of the ship's guns to signal distress disturbing a service at St Clements Church. The first on the scene at was reportedly Sir Charles Eversfield.
In 1827, some local inhabitants succeeded in raising many valuables from her. At low tides her ribs and large masses of timber may be seen.