All Saints Church
Early Days[edit | edit source]
All Saints Church (or All Hallows as it was once called) is commonly referred to as 'The Upper Church' by old families from Hastings. There was a Norman church on this site, which probably was partially destroyed in the French Raids of 1377. 
The current church dates from the first half of the 15th century, (although Ross claims the church was partially rebuilt in this period) with a date of rebuilding coming from the will of Richard Mechynge who died in 1436 and wished to be buried in the 'new' church of All Saints. A clause in his will left money towards the cost of a new window on the south side.
It is highly likely that at one point, the walls were decorated with pictures of the scriptures on the walls for the benefit of parishioners who could not read The only surviving of these is the representation of 'Doom' above the chancel arch.
Original Location[edit | edit source]
There is some evidence showing that the church has moved up the valley, away from the sea. The church was also, as stated above, rebuilt following the raid in 1377.
19th Century Restoration[edit | edit source]
A restoration caried out in 1870 removed many of the artworks on the walls, leaving the 'Doom' representation mentioned above. There is record that one of the scenes showed John the Baptist being beheaded and another on the north wall represented some 16th century ships with a sailor climbing up the shrouds.
Fixtures & Fittings[edit | edit source]
The pulpit cloth formed part of the canopy held over Queen Anne at her coronation.
Organ[edit | edit source]
The church has a Henry Willis (Father Willis) organ dating to 1877 which was subsequently rebuilt in 1915 with the three manual console in the north chancel chamber and electrically blown pipes.
Titus Oates[edit | edit source]
The notorious Titus Oates is recorded as having been a Minister at this church and his father, Samuel as being a Rector.
Burials[edit | edit source]
- Hastings Survey of Times Past and Present (Anthony Belt F.L.S.) 1937 pg.43 ESCC Library
- A Guide to Hastings & St Leonards (Thomas Ross 1835) pg.5 Google Books
- Historic Hastings ISBN: 0948869003 ISBN: 9780948869006 , J. Manwaring Baines p 114
- Close Rolls, 14 Tic II, March 10th 1391