St Mary Magdalen Church
|St Mary Magdalen Church|
|Dedication||St. Mary Magdalen|
|Consecrated||10 Sept 1852|
|St Mary Magdalen Church|
Constructed in 1852 for Anglican worshippers in St Leonards on the corner of St Margaret's Road and Church Road, with the foundation stone being laid by the Countess Waldegrave on the 25th of June 1851
The Consecration Service took place on Tuesday, Sept. 10th, in the presence of a congregation of 900, among whom were the Earl and Countess Waldegrave, Lady Elizabeth Waldegrave, Mrs. Gilbert (wife of the Bishop), Lady Ashburnham, Lady Watson, Lady Caroline Legge, Lady Marrable, Lady Elizabeth Finch, Mr. W. D. Lucas-Shadwell, Mr. Wastel Brisco, etc. Mr. Elford presided at the organ, and the singers were the united choirs of St. Clement’s and All Saints. The Bishop of Chichester and his chaplain, (the Rev. H. B. W. Churton), were met at the door by the Rev. T. P. Sproule, accompanied by Archdeacon Hare, Earl Waldegrave, Wastel Brisco, Esq., Several members of the Building Committee, and over thirty clergymen. The consecration sentences were read by the Rev. H. W. Simpson (vicar of Bexhill), and the prayers were read by the Rev. W. W. Hume. His Lordship preached from the 8th verse of the 103rd Psalm, the sermon being of course preached after the usual form of consecration had been performed. The offertory amounted to £218 17s. 6d. After the service, Mr. Brisco entertained at Bohemia House, the Bishop and about 100 other persons at an elegant dejeuner. A second service took place in the evening, the prayers being read by the Rev. T. P. Sproule, and the sermon preached by Archdeacon Hare. Another collection was then made, which realised £28 12s.
The organ was rebuilt by the firm of W. Hill & Sons in 1903. Improvements carried out are as follows; Addition of Choir to Great coupler, addition of trumpet and the pedal action replaced by a pneumatic one. A recital to demonstrate the new capabilities of the instrument was carried out by Dr White, the organist on the 15th of August 1903.
On the 8th of February 1914, the normal service was interrupted by a suffragette protest, this church having not complied with a request sent to several churches in the borough to pray for guidance in the woman's movement. A number of other churches reportedly had complied, among them being St Mary in the Castle Church, Emmanuel Church, St Pauls Church and Fairlight Church.
Grade II Listed (Historic England listing 1043430). Being declared redundant by the Anglican church during 1980, in 1982, the church was sold to the local Greek Orthodox community, re-opening for worship under that faith in 1983.