St Andrews Church
Summary[edit | edit source]
St Andrews Church stood on Queens Road and was designed by Messrs Haversham & Brock, A benevolent lady (Miss M. J. Sayer), a resident of Hastings, having granted a site for the Church, giving £1,000 towards its erection, and a further sum of £1250 for endowment and repairs. The church was to be situated on the land allocated during the sale of the Great Brook Estate.
Plans were produced by Mr. Brock, one of which was decided upon, and a local builder erected the edifice around 1870, the total cost of which was £3600. The Church was in the Gothic style, and consisted of a nave, south aisle, and apse chancel, and sat 450 persons. The organ was from the well-known manufactory of Mr. T. J. Robson, St. Martin's Lane, London. The church opened circa 1869. By 1874, the congregation had grown to such a point that a further aisle was designed by the same architects and constructed during the same year.
Tressell Artwork[edit | edit source]
Robert Tressell carried out a number of paintings within the church, some of which were saved during the church's demolition and lodged with the museum (against the wishes of J. Manwaring Baines who was curator at the time).